I NOTICED MY COLLEAGUE MAKES MORE MONEY THAN ME ... but WE DO THE SAME work!
That hurts. We know. Which is why the federal Equal Pay Act prohibits pay discrimination based on sex where employees are performing the same job duties in the same location.
The following requirements apply for a claim under the Equal Pay Act:
- a significant portion of the job tasks are the same for the positions being compared (i.e., your position and the position which earns the higher wage);
- the two jobs involve similar levels of skill, which means similar levels of experience, ability, education, and training;
- the two jobs involve similar levels of mental and physical exertion;
- the two jobs involve similar levels of responsibility or accountability; and
- the two jobs are performed under similar working conditions.
If you are being paid less than your colleagues, you may have a claim for back wages. Conway Legal will let you know if you do. And for that, we don't discriminate!